Politics & Elections
Up Close: Challengers to Charles Rangel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Candidates are lining up to challenge veteran Harlem Rep. Charles Rangel for his congressional seat.
Rangel has held the seat for more than four decades, and is running for his 22nd term in office.
He represents New York's 13th congressional district, formerly the 15th district.
Like all congressional districts in the state, it was redrawn this year.
We asked all the candidates running in the district's Democratic primary to join us on the program to discuss the issues.
Rangel and Adriano Espillat declined our invitation.
But three other candidates joined us.
They are Clyde Williams, a former adviser to President Clinton, Joyce Johnson, a Harlem community activist, and Craig Schley, also a community activist and former intern to Charles Rangel.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation 55 min ago
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale 17 min ago
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
22 min ago