Politics & Elections
Up Close: Taking on Charlie Rangel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The presidential election may be getting all the attention, but there are some heated Congressional races underway in our area. All this month, we plan highlight some of those races and introduce you to the candidates.
Candidates are lining up to take over Rep. Charlie Rangel's 13th District seat in Congress.
After more than 4 decades in office, they say it's time for Rangel to go, but can they beat a veteran incumbent with a name, money and political network behind him.
The Harlem democrat has held the seat for more than 4 decades and he is running for his 22nd term.
The district, like all congressional districts in the state, was redrawn this year. It now includes most of Harlem, Upper Manhattan and parts of the Bronx.
We asked all the candidates running in the 13th district democratic primary to join us on this program to discuss the issues.
Rangel and Adriano Espillat declined our invitation, but three other democrats vying for the seat agreed to join us. They are Clyde Williams, former adviser to President Bill Clinton; Joyce Johnson, a Harlem community activist; and Craig Schley, also a community activist and former intern to Charles Rangel.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ