Politics & Elections
Up Close: Gun control dialogue
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City police sergeant became one of the latest victims of a shooting on our streets.
Despite all the gun violence in the news recently, Americans are still split on what to do when it comes to controlling gun ownership.
47 percent say that it is important to pass laws controlling who can own a gun, while 46 percent say protecting second amendment rights, the right to bear arms, is more important. This is all according to a new Pew Research Center poll.
The one thing that is gaining momentum is a feeling that something needs to be done to stop the senseless gun violence.
Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy from Long Island has been at the forefront when it comes to gun laws, yet she has seen little progress. For her it is a personal mission - her husband was killed in 1993 when a gunman opened fire on a Long Island Rail Road train.
Six years ago, Mayor Bloomberg created a task force called "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" - it started with 12 mayors, and has since grown to 700, yet little has changed.
Mayor Bloomberg is hoping to make gun control a presidential campaign issue, but so far, the two candidates have remained largely silent on the issue. It is an insurmountable brick wall when it comes to changing gun laws - or can changing the dialogue make a difference?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 19 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos