Politics & Elections
Up Close: Gun control dialogue
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City police sergeant became one of the latest victims of a shooting on our streets.
Despite all the gun violence in the news recently, Americans are still split on what to do when it comes to controlling gun ownership.
47 percent say that it is important to pass laws controlling who can own a gun, while 46 percent say protecting second amendment rights, the right to bear arms, is more important. This is all according to a new Pew Research Center poll.
The one thing that is gaining momentum is a feeling that something needs to be done to stop the senseless gun violence.
Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy from Long Island has been at the forefront when it comes to gun laws, yet she has seen little progress. For her it is a personal mission - her husband was killed in 1993 when a gunman opened fire on a Long Island Rail Road train.
Six years ago, Mayor Bloomberg created a task force called "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" - it started with 12 mayors, and has since grown to 700, yet little has changed.
Mayor Bloomberg is hoping to make gun control a presidential campaign issue, but so far, the two candidates have remained largely silent on the issue. It is an insurmountable brick wall when it comes to changing gun laws - or can changing the dialogue make a difference?
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 41 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 50 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 58 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
37 min ago