Dems pick temporary replacement for Derrick Smith
August 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Democratic leaders in Springfield have announced a temporary replacement for ousted West Side Democrat Derrick Smith.
The Illinois House voted to expel Smith earlier this month.
Smith is accused of taking a $7,000 bribe in a federal sting operation.
Late Friday, leaders named Chicago police officer Eddie Winters to serve until January when a new state rep is sworn in.
Smith is still on the ballot this fall. He has denied any wrong doing.
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos