Dems pick temporary replacement for Derrick Smith
August 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Democratic leaders in Springfield have announced a temporary replacement for ousted West Side Democrat Derrick Smith.
The Illinois House voted to expel Smith earlier this month.
Smith is accused of taking a $7,000 bribe in a federal sting operation.
Late Friday, leaders named Chicago police officer Eddie Winters to serve until January when a new state rep is sworn in.
Smith is still on the ballot this fall. He has denied any wrong doing.
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 43 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 46 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 47 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 25 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 2 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 21 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
47 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos