Dems pick temporary replacement for Derrick Smith
August 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Democratic leaders in Springfield have announced a temporary replacement for ousted West Side Democrat Derrick Smith.
The Illinois House voted to expel Smith earlier this month.
Smith is accused of taking a $7,000 bribe in a federal sting operation.
Late Friday, leaders named Chicago police officer Eddie Winters to serve until January when a new state rep is sworn in.
Smith is still on the ballot this fall. He has denied any wrong doing.
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Golden Globes nominations announced 14 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 2 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 19 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 27 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos