Group claims nearly 30,000 dead voters on NC rolls
RALEIGH -- The Voter Integrity Project delivered a list of nearly 30,000 dead North Carolinians that it claims are still on voting rolls to the North Carolina State Board of Elections Thursday.
The conservative-leaning group, which describes itself as non-partisan, said it found some of the names had not been removed from voter lists for more than a decade after the person died.
Group leader Jay DeLancy did not list any actual cases of someone using a dead person's name to vote. In a news release on the group's website, he said the data was still being analyzed.
But, he said some cases looked suspicious.
"It’s pretty clear that a few of those cases involved clerical errors on a busy election day," DeLancy said, "but others look a lot like identity theft at the ballot box. Either way, we will need to review each one very carefully."
The Voter Integrity Project has also challenged names on the voter roll in Wake County who it said were not U.S. Citizens. At a hearing earlier this month, DeLancy stormed out after the Wake County Board of Elections dismissed 18 challenges after county officials determined that the voters in question were in fact U.S. citizens.
Delancy did succeed a week later in getting the names of nearly 400 dead voters removed from the Wake County rolls.
Some have questioned if it's a real issue. According to a study done by The Carnegie Corporation of New York and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, North Carolina has had 22 cases of alleged election fraud since 2000.
Twenty two is .0005 percent of the more than 4 million people who voted in the presidential contest in 2008.
Critics say Republicans are trying to create the perception that voter fraud is a problem in order to pass new voter ID laws that would weed out voters who are more likely to cast ballots for Democrats.
The News and Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday that NC House Speaker Thom Tillis promises a new voter ID law will pass this fall if things go well for the Republicans in November.
The Republican controlled Legislature failed to pass a similar bill over Governor Beverly Perdue's veto last year.
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 17 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 18 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos