Politics & Elections
Up Close: Political Conventions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mitt Romney officially became the GOP nominee as the Republicans wrapped up their convention in Tampa, and the Democrats get ready to open theirs in Charlotte.
Now the stage is set for President Obama to accept his party's nomination, and try to convince voters to give him four more years in the White House.
It's often said that voters don't really start focusong in the presidential race until after Labor Day.
And this Labor Day weekend, President Obama is facing a re-election campaign in a country with high unemployment.
In Tampa, the Republicans put the focus on jobs..mainly the lack of them.
Romney's message was clearly aimed at independents who overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Obama four years ago.
Independents are expected to again decide the presidential race this year.
This week, we'll recap the GOP convention, and look ahead at what to expect from the Democrats.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 1 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 52 min ago