Politics & Elections
Up Close: Political Conventions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mitt Romney officially became the GOP nominee as the Republicans wrapped up their convention in Tampa, and the Democrats get ready to open theirs in Charlotte.
Now the stage is set for President Obama to accept his party's nomination, and try to convince voters to give him four more years in the White House.
It's often said that voters don't really start focusong in the presidential race until after Labor Day.
And this Labor Day weekend, President Obama is facing a re-election campaign in a country with high unemployment.
In Tampa, the Republicans put the focus on jobs..mainly the lack of them.
Romney's message was clearly aimed at independents who overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Obama four years ago.
Independents are expected to again decide the presidential race this year.
This week, we'll recap the GOP convention, and look ahead at what to expect from the Democrats.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos