Politics & Elections
Up Close: Political Conventions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mitt Romney officially became the GOP nominee as the Republicans wrapped up their convention in Tampa, and the Democrats get ready to open theirs in Charlotte.
Now the stage is set for President Obama to accept his party's nomination, and try to convince voters to give him four more years in the White House.
It's often said that voters don't really start focusong in the presidential race until after Labor Day.
And this Labor Day weekend, President Obama is facing a re-election campaign in a country with high unemployment.
In Tampa, the Republicans put the focus on jobs..mainly the lack of them.
Romney's message was clearly aimed at independents who overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Obama four years ago.
Independents are expected to again decide the presidential race this year.
This week, we'll recap the GOP convention, and look ahead at what to expect from the Democrats.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide