Politics & Elections
Up Close: Political Conventions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mitt Romney officially became the GOP nominee as the Republicans wrapped up their convention in Tampa, and the Democrats get ready to open theirs in Charlotte.
Now the stage is set for President Obama to accept his party's nomination, and try to convince voters to give him four more years in the White House.
It's often said that voters don't really start focusong in the presidential race until after Labor Day.
And this Labor Day weekend, President Obama is facing a re-election campaign in a country with high unemployment.
In Tampa, the Republicans put the focus on jobs..mainly the lack of them.
Romney's message was clearly aimed at independents who overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Obama four years ago.
Independents are expected to again decide the presidential race this year.
This week, we'll recap the GOP convention, and look ahead at what to expect from the Democrats.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster