Politics & Elections
Up Close: The Barclays Center
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The new arena in Brooklyn, the Barclays Center, is finally open for business.
But what about the rest of the Atlantic Yards project, and the thousands of jobs and affordable housing promised by Mayor Bloomberg and the developer, Forest City Ratner?
The arena opened this week, eight years after ground was broken.
The facility is the new home for the Brooklyn Nets, and a major headliner, Brooklyn-born Jay Z, will inaugurate the arena with eight sold-out shows.
Jay Z is also a minority owner of the Nets.
But while many are confident this project will change the face of Brooklyn, there are still many non-believers.
Joining us this week is someone who is a believer in the Atlantic Yards project, and who took part in the ribbon cutting ceremony: Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.
We will also hear opposing views on the project from New York City Councilwoman Letitia James and Candace Carponter of the group 'Develop, Don't Destroy'.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 29 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- A-Rod sells home and makes $15 Million profit 25 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos