Politics & Elections
Up Close: The Barclays Center
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The new arena in Brooklyn, the Barclays Center, is finally open for business.
But what about the rest of the Atlantic Yards project, and the thousands of jobs and affordable housing promised by Mayor Bloomberg and the developer, Forest City Ratner?
The arena opened this week, eight years after ground was broken.
The facility is the new home for the Brooklyn Nets, and a major headliner, Brooklyn-born Jay Z, will inaugurate the arena with eight sold-out shows.
Jay Z is also a minority owner of the Nets.
But while many are confident this project will change the face of Brooklyn, there are still many non-believers.
Joining us this week is someone who is a believer in the Atlantic Yards project, and who took part in the ribbon cutting ceremony: Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.
We will also hear opposing views on the project from New York City Councilwoman Letitia James and Candace Carponter of the group 'Develop, Don't Destroy'.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos