Politics & Elections
Up Close: The Barclays Center
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The new arena in Brooklyn, the Barclays Center, is finally open for business.
But what about the rest of the Atlantic Yards project, and the thousands of jobs and affordable housing promised by Mayor Bloomberg and the developer, Forest City Ratner?
The arena opened this week, eight years after ground was broken.
The facility is the new home for the Brooklyn Nets, and a major headliner, Brooklyn-born Jay Z, will inaugurate the arena with eight sold-out shows.
Jay Z is also a minority owner of the Nets.
But while many are confident this project will change the face of Brooklyn, there are still many non-believers.
Joining us this week is someone who is a believer in the Atlantic Yards project, and who took part in the ribbon cutting ceremony: Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.
We will also hear opposing views on the project from New York City Councilwoman Letitia James and Candace Carponter of the group 'Develop, Don't Destroy'.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls 7 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 37 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos