Politics & Elections
Up Close: Subway Ad
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Is it a message of hate, or free speech? Or both?
We're talking about an ad in New York subway stations, widely seen as anti-Muslim, that's sparking strong reaction and pushback, including an arrest for vandalizing the controversial ads.
The ad reads "In any war between the civilized man and the savages, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."
The MTA tried to block the ads from going up but lost that battle.
They are now posted in heavily trafficked areas such as Grand Central Station and Times Square.
We'll be joined by Pamela Geller, a conservative activist who created the ad.
She is the executive director of American Freedom Defense Initiative and Stop Islamization of America.
Also with us is Jim Wallis, chief executive officer of Sojourners, a Christian group which works to build alliances among people of different faiths.
This week, we'll also look at what goes into putting on a presidential debate as President Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney prepare to meet in the first of their three debates.
Plus we'll have a followup on Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer's exclusive report on why money is not being spent from New Jersey's multi-million dollar program to help homeowners fend off foreclosure.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 24 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos