Politics & Elections
Up Close: Subway Ad
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Is it a message of hate, or free speech? Or both?
We're talking about an ad in New York subway stations, widely seen as anti-Muslim, that's sparking strong reaction and pushback, including an arrest for vandalizing the controversial ads.
The ad reads "In any war between the civilized man and the savages, support the civilized man. Support Israel. Defeat Jihad."
The MTA tried to block the ads from going up but lost that battle.
They are now posted in heavily trafficked areas such as Grand Central Station and Times Square.
We'll be joined by Pamela Geller, a conservative activist who created the ad.
She is the executive director of American Freedom Defense Initiative and Stop Islamization of America.
Also with us is Jim Wallis, chief executive officer of Sojourners, a Christian group which works to build alliances among people of different faiths.
This week, we'll also look at what goes into putting on a presidential debate as President Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney prepare to meet in the first of their three debates.
Plus we'll have a followup on Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer's exclusive report on why money is not being spent from New Jersey's multi-million dollar program to help homeowners fend off foreclosure.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 11 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
11 min ago