Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sandy Recovery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hurricane Sandy was a devastating October surprise for the tri-state area, with damage beyond anything we've ever seen. And putting New York, New Jersey and Connecticut back together will be a monumental task.
The federal and local governments are vowing to help people recover.
But what will it take to get those who lost so much back on their feet and into their homes?
And how do we protect the city from another massive storm?
This week, we'll take a look at the recovery efforts in the wake of Sandy, as we talk with Mark Merritt, president of Witt Associates, a public safety and crisis management consulting firm founded by the former director of FEMA, James Lee Witt.
We'll also talk about what changes need to be made to protect those who live along the coast, with Dr. William Fritz, interim president and professor of geology at the City University of New York's College of Staten Island.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, hurricane sandy, politics & elections, diana williams
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 43 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
23 min ago