Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sandy Recovery
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hurricane Sandy was a devastating October surprise for the tri-state area, with damage beyond anything we've ever seen. And putting New York, New Jersey and Connecticut back together will be a monumental task.
The federal and local governments are vowing to help people recover.
But what will it take to get those who lost so much back on their feet and into their homes?
And how do we protect the city from another massive storm?
This week, we'll take a look at the recovery efforts in the wake of Sandy, as we talk with Mark Merritt, president of Witt Associates, a public safety and crisis management consulting firm founded by the former director of FEMA, James Lee Witt.
We'll also talk about what changes need to be made to protect those who live along the coast, with Dr. William Fritz, interim president and professor of geology at the City University of New York's College of Staten Island.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
GET MORE POLITICAL NEWS FROM EYEWITNESS NEWS AND ABC NEWS Get Eyewitness News Delivered
up close, hurricane sandy, politics & elections, diana williams
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 28 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 53 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos