Politics & Elections
Up Close: Budget Cuts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Massive federal budget cuts have taken effect after President Obama and congressional Republicans failed to reach an agreement.
19 months ago, Congress approved the sequester, and the $85 billion in cuts have become a reality.
We'll take a closer look at the impact of the reductions with Republican congressman from New York Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and Brooklyn.
Plus, he was once a rising Democratic star. Now former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion is launching a third party run for New York City Mayor.
We'll talk with the man hoping to become the city's first Latino mayor.
Also, Mayor Bloomberg called it a game changer when back in November he announced a first of its kind, one stop rebuilding program called 'NYC Rapid Repairs."
It would send teams of approved licensed contractors into Sandy-damaged neighborhoods and save homeowners the headache of hiring various contractors themselves.
Now Eyewitness News Investigative Reporter Jim Hoffer has found some of those 'Rapid Repair' homes barely finished, and some downright dangerous.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 8 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos