McCrory signs Medicaid, 3 other bills
RALEIGH -- Gov. Pat McCrory has signed four bills into law, including a measure that prevents North Carolina for now from participating in parts of the federal health care overhaul.
McCrory's office said the governor signed the legislation late Wednesday afternoon in the old Capitol building in Raleigh.
One new law blocks the state from expanding Medicaid to cover more lower-income people and from operating an online health care marketplace. The federal government will run the exchange instead.
"In my first eight weeks as governor I've had to make some difficult decisions," said McCrory in a statement. "My team conducted a thorough review of the Affordable Care Act and its impact on North Carolina. Before considering Medicaid expansion, we must reform the current system to make sure people currently enrolled receive the services they need and more taxpayer dollars are not put at risk."
Another law ensures group homes and Alzheimer's care units can access state funds to deal with Medicaid coverage changes. There's also legislation that will allow a live possum drop to continue on New Year's Eve in Brasstown. Another increases penalties for protests at funerals.
The press wasn't invited to attend the signings.
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 25 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 32 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
32 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos