Politics & Elections
Up Close: Sick Days
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A bill requiring businesses to provide paid sick days for employees has been languishing in the City Council for almost 3 years, mainly because Council Speaker Christine Quinn has blocked the bill from going forward.
Now the speaker, who is running for mayor, appears to be changing her mind. Quinn and union leaders have reached a compromise on a plan calling for companies with 20 or more employees to provide five paid sick days starting next April. Joining us to discuss it is Dan Cantor, executive director with the Working Families Party. The group has led the charge pressuring Quinn to support the bill. Also, we continue our ongoing conversation with the mayoral candidates, as we talk to supermarket magnate and Republican candidate John Castimatidis. Could this political novice become the city's next billionaire mayor? Plus, Mayor Bloomberg continues his mission to stop New Yorkers from smoking with a proposal to raise the minimum price of cigarettes to $10.50 a pack. With us to discuss it is Dr. Susan Kansagra, assistant comissioner with the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control at the New York City Department of Health.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 10 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 10 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 30 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
30 min ago