Politics & Elections
Up Close: Standardized Tests
Sunday, May 05, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City students have already taken the new state math and English tests, with tough new standards.
The updated tests are designed to meet the new national learning standards called Common Core. They are part of what will be used to determined whether a student is held back, or a teacher receives tenure. But the head of the nation's teachers union says the tests should not count. Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, says the tests were administered before students and teachers had time to learn the new material. She joins us to discuss Common Core, and how it will change our schools. Also, we continue our ongoing discussion with the New York City mayoral candidates. There's been a lot of talk lately about Anthony Weiner possibly jumping into the race for mayor. But this week's guest has been on the campaign trail for months, working to get his name out. He's Democrat Sal Albanese. Finally, Eyewitness News and 7online have launched a new project: the Tri-State's Most Wanted. We are now providing a slideshow of pictures on our website, 7online, featuring men and women wanted by local law enforcement. Investigative Reporter Sarah Wallace takes a closer look at the NYPD's most wanted fugitive, Andre Neverson, and one detective who is determined to find him.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act