Politics & Elections
Up Close: Katie Beers
Sunday, May 12, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's hard to fathom how three women in Cleveland were found nearly a decade after they were kidnapped.Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus and Michelle Knight escaped with a 6-year old girl who is believed to be Berry's daughter, born in that rundown home in West Cleveland that imprisoned them. We find such horrors unthinkable, but it has happened to others. 20 years ago, a missing girl filled the headlines here in New York. Her name was Katie Beers. On December 28th, 1992, Katie, who lived with her mother in Mastic Beach, Long Island, vanished. It was two days before her 10th birthday. She was found 17 days later, chained inside a concrete bunker under a home in Bay Shore. The man who kidnapped her, John Esposito, is currently serving a life sentence. Beers recently wrote a memoir recounting her life, and her time in captivity. She joins us to discuss her own experience, and her perspective on the women in Cleveland. Also, two women with very different lives, but sharing a similar story. Two years ago on this program, Eyewitness News reporter Stacey Sager shared her own battle with breast cancer. One of the people watching that morning was Kara Dioguardi, a songwriter and former judge on American Idol. Stacey's story hit a chord because Dioguardi's mother died of ovarian cancer at age 50 and her grandmother died of breast cancer. She decided to get the genetic test and it came out positive for the Braca 2 mutation, putting her at high risk for ovarian cancer. She had a full hysterectomy, and with the help of a surrogate, now has a beautiful baby boy. Kara and Stacey recently met for the first time. The star credits Stacey with saving her life, and it all happened completely by chance.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster