McCarthy: Conceal-carry law should've included more training
June 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says concealed carry legislation just approved by state lawmakers should have included more training for gun carriers.
His comments came as he and other officers displayed recently seized firearms.
On Friday, the Illinois legislature approved a measure that would require Illinois residents to receive 16 hours of training before getting a permit to carry a concealed gun. McCarthy says that's not enough.
"Police officers go through six months in the police academy, four months of field training, ongoing training and practicing. We make mistakes frequently," he said.
The concealed carry legislation now goes to governor Pat Quinn. But he has not indicated whether he will sign it.
The gun law passed Friday would prohibit the possession of guns in such places as schools, taverns and parks, but would allow a gun to be kept securely in a car. It did not include an earlier proposal to eliminate all local gun ordinances, including Chicago's current ban on assault weapons, but would curb local control on handguns and lawful transportation of firearms.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 29 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 30 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 7 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
30 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
47 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
42 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos