Politics & Elections
Up Close: Eliot Spitzer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer is getting back in the political arena, after a prostitution scandal forced him from office.
He's seeking forgiveness, and votes, as he launches a campaign for New York City Comptroller.
But will New Yorkers welcome him back?
In March of 2008, just 15 months into his governorship, Spitzer resigned from office after it was revealed he was patonizing prostitutes.
He's betting that New Yorkers will forgive him, but he may face a big gender gap when it comes to redemption..
Still, a new Marist NBC New York Wall Street Journal poll say many are willing to hear him out.
About two-thirds of registered Democrats, 67-percent, say he deserves a second chance.
And that same poll puts Spitzer ahead of his Democratic opponent, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, 42 percent to 33.
He's got the money to run, but will he have the signatures he needs to get on the ballot, and can he win over voters in New York City?
Spitzer joins us to discuss his political comeback.
Also this week, the battle over medical marijuana for children in New Jersey.
Governor Christie says easing current restrictions might turn the state into a haven for pot smokers.
But the parents of a 2-year old girl suffering from epilepsy say the governor is preventing their daughter from getting a life-saving treatment.
Meghan and Brian Wilson are with us, along with the child's doctor, Anthony Anzalone, to talk about their fight in New Jersey to get a drug they say is legally allowed and should be available for their child.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 9 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident