GOP leaders promise to finish to-do list
RALEIGH -- Tax reform is a done deal for state lawmakers but there are plenty of other hot button topics still being debated as the session winds down. Among them: taxes, abortion, and guns.
The to-do list at the legislature is still pretty long. However, top Republicans insisted Tuesday that they will get it all done within the next 48 hours including those controversial items.
The abortion bill is still waiting for Senate approval. A bill expanding gun rights, and legislation paving the way for shale gas extraction or fracking is still in the offing as well.
The top Republican in the Senate sounded optimistic when ABC11 asked him about that lengthy to-do list.
"We should be able to get it done this week," said Sen. Phil Berger. "Thursday is the day we're shooting for. I've told people when you say Thursday, it means Friday morning early."
One Republican priority that is now a done deal is tax reform. Gov. Pat McCrory signed the tax overhaul plan into law Tuesday at the governor's mansion.
Republicans are hailing the new law as a jumpstart to the state's economy. However, critics say it unfairly forces the poor and middle class to pay more.
general assembly, inside politics, joel brown
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 36 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 13 min ago
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 10 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
36 min ago