Department of Public Safety official resigns
RALEIGH -- There's been another abrupt resignation in the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.
On Friday, Secretary Kieran Shanahan announced he is stepping down next week.
Chief Operating Officer Edward "Sonny" Masso announced Thursday that he was stepping down effective immediately.
The retired Navy rear admiral was brought on by Shanahan in February.
No reason for the resignation was given.
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Family demands answers in deadly police shooting 42 min ago
- Nigella Lawson again denies heavy drug use
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos