Poll shows McCrory approval dropping
RALEIGH, N.C. -- A new poll from the left-leaning Public Policy Polling shows North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory's approval rating has dropped below 40 percent for the first time, but the governor's staff said Wednesday its own internal polling shows otherwise.
PPP said Wednesday that 39 percent approve of the job McCrory is doing, while 51 percent disapprove.
But in a rare move, the governor's staff released an internal poll done by the Renew North Carolina Foundation that shows McCrory's rating at 48 percent.
In a statement released with its poll results, PPP President Debnam said some voters feel McCrory broke a campaign promise not to sign further restrictions on abortion and then offended some by offering cookies to protestors outside the governor's mansion instead of meeting with them.
"Voters think McCrory handled the abortion bill very poorly," Debnam offered. "They think he broke a campaign promise by signing it and compounded the problem by being disrespectful to protestors."
PPP said it surveyed 600 North Carolina voters between August 8 and 11.
After signing the abortion bill, McCrory said it does not increase restrictions, and protects the safety of women.
"This law does not further limit access and those who contend it does are more interested in politics than the health and safety of our citizens," said McCrory July 29.
The bill directs state officials to regulate abortion clinics based on the same standards as those for outpatient surgical centers, a change that critics say will force most to close.
PPP said McCrory's poll numbers have been on a steady decline. He was at 40 percent in July and 45 percent in June.
By contrast, the most recent polling we could find from the right-leaning Civitas Institute released in May show McCrory with 46.8 percent of voters either strongly approving or somewhat approving of his job performance.
In April, a poll from Elon University showed McCrory with 46 percent approving of his job performance.
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 58 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall