Politics & Elections
Up Close: Manhattan Borough President Race
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On this week's edition of Up Close, we talk to the candidates in the hotly contested race for Manhattan Borough President.
The seat is now open with Scott Stringer running for City Comptroller.
As for the job, it doesn't wield much power, but carries a lot of visibility.
Borough presidents act as a conduit between city leaders and communities.
They make some appointments, chair boards, and oversee the delivery of services.
They can also propose legislation in the city council.
Mostly, they are cheerleaders and advocates for their boroughs.
Three City Council members and a former community board chairwoman are running to be the next Manhattan Borough President, all Democrats.
It's important to note, there is no Republican in the race, so whoever wins the September 10th primary will likely take the office next year.
Joining us are, City Councilwoman representing the Upper West Side, Gale Brewer.
City Councilman Robert Jackson, who represents Harlem and parts of Upper Manhattan.
Councilwoman from the East Side, Jessica Lappin, and Julie Menin, former chair of Community Board 1 in Lower Manhattan.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 52 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 27 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
16 min ago