Politics & Elections

Brooklyn DA Charles Hynes campaigning on GOP, Conservative lines

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Brooklyn's longtime district attorney, who lost the Democratic primary election, is actively campaigning on the Republican line.

It seemed a little old-fashioned, but a ragtime jazz band played as Joe Hynes tried to re-launch his career as Brooklyn's top DA.

Just a month ago, Ken Thompson hammered Hynes in the primary, and Hynes politely conceded.

"I've wished him great success. I told him I would work with him an orderly and good transition," Charles "Joe" Hynes said on September 10th.

But Tuesday, Hynes was back saying he's worried about Clarence Norman, the old-time political boss Hynes convicted of extortion. Hynes claims Norman ran Thompson's get-out-the vote effort.

"I will do everything in my power to make damn sure that Clarence Norman, Jr. never influences the office of Brooklyn District Attorney," Hynes said.

The problem is Thompson says Hynes is just plain wrong about Clarence Norman. He says he just showed up un-invited to his victory party.

"He had no role in this campaign Dave, he had no role. Joe Hynes knows that. This is a smoke screen. This is just concocted," Thompson said.

But Hynes claims it's Thompson who's lying, and that back-and-forth led to a bit of a protest at Tuesday's announcement.

"He lost, he lost the Democratic primary. That's it. Go home already. Enough," said Aron Greenstein, a protester.

But apparently it's not enough. Hynes, a liberal Democrat, is now running on the Republican and Conservative lines. The victor in last month's primary's calls that sad.

"People in Brooklyn want a new DA. He's been in office for 24 years. The office is in crisis. Everyone knows that," Thompson said.

The general election is Nov. 5.

(Copyright ©2013 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more Politics & Elections »


Tags:
new york city politics, politics & elections, dave evans
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement