Politics & Elections
Up Close: Mayoral Transition
NEW YORK (WABC) -- After 12 years under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the passing of the torch to Bill de Blasio is now underway at City Hall.
The mayor-elect met briefly with the outgoing mayor the day after his resounding victory.
The meeting appeared cordial and it was largely for photo ops.
But many would argue that de Blasio ran and won, not so much against Joe Lhota, but against Bloomberg. He spent much of his campaign criticizing the mayor, and vowed to reverse the Bloomberg era policies.
de Blasio has a daunting task ahead. He faces a $2 billion budget gap, expired union contracts, and a potential clash with members of the police force over the stop and frisk policy.
Joining us to talk about the transition is Howard Wolfson, Deputy Mayor for Government Affairs and Communications.
Also, with us to discuss the stop and frisk issue is Pat Lynch, president of the Patrolman's Benevolent Association.
While many unions rallied behind de Blasio, the PBA sat out this general election.
Police union leaders want to continue to appeal a judge's ruling that stop and frisk is unconstitutional.
And with Veteran's Day Monday, we'll talk with two female veterans, Genevieve Chase and Michelle Racicot, about the unique challenges facing women in the military.
Watch Up Close with Diana Williams every Sunday morning at 11:00 on Channel 7.
up close, politics & elections, diana williams
- Woman shot to death in Queens domestic dispute 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 16 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 44 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
16 min ago