Politics & Elections
Ex-Christie aide Bridget Kelly won't cooperate with subpoena
TRENTON -- A former aide to Gov. Chris Christie is invoking her right not to incriminate herself and refusing to cooperate with a subpoena from a legislative committee looking into a political retribution scandal.
The lawyer for former Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Kelly sent a letter Monday to the committee's lawyer saying she would not comply because the information demanded "directly overlaps with a parallel federal grand jury investigation."
Christie fired Kelly last month after it was made public that she told a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official in an email that it was "time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."
Former Christie campaign manager Bill Stepien made a similar argument last week and is also not complying with a subpoena.
Kelly is now the third key figure in the scandal to decline to cooperate with the committee by invoking the 5th Amendment.
She joins former Port Authority official David Wildstein, who took the 5th during a hearing last month, and Stepien, who notified the Legislature Friday he would be taking the 5th.
new jersey politics, chris christie, george washington bridge, fort lee, new jersey, new jersey news, david wildstein, bridget anne kelly, port authority, mark sokolich, bridgegate, politics & elections
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos