Politics & Elections
Top state Democrat supports pre-K, but not new tax
NEW YORK -- The state Senate's top Democrat is stressing his support for New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio's pre-kindergarten plan - but he's stopping short of demanding a new tax to pay for it.
Democratic Sen. Jeff Klein leads the state Senate along with Republican Sen. Dean Skelos, who appeared to shut the door Monday on taking up a bill that would allow New York City to pay for pre-K with higher taxes on the wealthy. De Blasio is pushing hard for the tax and Klein has said he shares the mayor's vision for pre-K.
Klein tells reporters Tuesday he could support the tax. But he declined to call the tax necessary for a pre-K deal. He says every alternative has to be on the table at this point.
new york city politics, new york city, bill de blasio, politics & elections
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos