Life & Community
Olympian Bernard Lagat to run the NYC Half
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Bernard Lagat, five-time world champion and two-time Olympian, will take on the longest race of his career in his half-marathon debut at the NYC Half next month.
"We are simply thrilled to host Bernard Lagat, one of the greatest runners our sport has ever seen, in his debut at the half-marathon distance," said New York Road Runners president and CEO Mary Wittenberg. "Bernard already has a storied history in New York City; he's inspired us with his dominance at the Wanamaker Mile and his perseverance at the Fifth Avenue Mile, racing year after year until he finally captured the crown. If he can win the NYC Half, he'll be the first winner of the Fifth Avenue Mile, the Wanamaker Mile and the NYC Half, a trifecta that would be just another indication of Bernard's talents and range."
The NYC Half is a 13.1 mile tour of Manhattan, through Central Park to Times Square, the Hudson River waterfront, and the finish in lower Manhattan.
Lagat won at the Millrose Games on February 16, reclaiming the American indoor record in the two-mile with a time of 8:09.49. He also recently ran 7:34.71 for 3000 meters in Karlsruhe, Germany.
"I'm excited to be running a half-marathon," said Lagat. "It's a big step up in distance, but I think I'll be well prepared. Of course, there's a bit of uncertainty, but that makes it exciting; the challenge is what really appeals to me," he added. "New York has been a great city for me for more than a decade. I'm proud of all those Wanamaker Mile wins, the record, running the Fifth Avenue Mile, and finally winning there in 2011. I'm really looking forward to the half-marathon next month; I've been planning for it during all my training this season."
NYRR's flagship half-marathon, in its eighth running, will air live Sunday, March 17 on Channel 7 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. It will also stream live on ESPN3 concurrently with the broadcast. NYRR's On the Run broadcast will air on www.nyrr.org at 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 15 and 16, with a post-race recap Sunday evening.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
nyc half, bernard lagat, new york city half marathon, new york city marathon, life & community
- Wet weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 2 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 50 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash 41 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse