From near death to marathon runner
PROSPECT PARK (WABC) -- Bryan Steinhauer is one of thousands of runners who runs endless loops around Brooklyn's prospect park, but he may be the only one who was never supposed to walk again, not even expected to survive a brutal beating he took five years ago.
"I know how far I've come and how much farther I need to go," he said.
Defying the odds, Steinhauer is training for the New York City Half Marathon, 13.1 miles that takes runners through Central Park and Times Square.
It's the next big step in what has been an amazing recovery.
"My first time running was in physical therapy, just trying to walk at a good pace," Steinhauer said.
In May of 2008, Steinhauer, then a 22-year-old student at Binghamton University, was outside an off-campus bar when he was attacked by two much bigger men. One of them repeatedly stomped on Steinhauer's head, crushing his skull.
Steinhauer spent three months in a coma and had to learn to walk and talk all over again.
"After my physical therapy, I just kept it up, treadmill at the gym. Then, I came to park -- beautiful park, said perfect, I'm going to run here," he said.
Next month, he will run to raise money for "Minds Over Matter," a group he started that supports young adults with traumatic brain injuries.
The half marathon is not the end of Steinhauer's journey.
"I'm a success story. I'm not a victim so here I am to prove it to you. Prove it to the world," Steinhauer said.
Steinhauer says he plans to run the full marathon in November.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brooklyn, propsect park, half marathon, new york city half marathon, new york city marathon, sports, amy freeze
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park