2013 ING New York City Marathon expected to be biggest ever
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York Road Runners announced the 2013 ING New York City Marathon field is expected to be year's biggest marathon again, and similar to the 2011 Marathon, the largest in history.
"With great appreciation for the amazing support of NYC and our marathoners, we are really excited about this year's Marathon," said Mary Wittenberg, president and CEO of New York Road Runners. "This year will be especially meaningful as we honor NYC one year after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and as we run inspired by, and in support of, Boston. "
Nearly 100,000 applicants have applied spots in the Sunday, November 3 race.
Approximately 48,000 runners will run the streets of NYC on Marathon Sunday, accommodating all 2012 marathoners who chose to run in 2013 and nearly all 2013 guaranteed entrants. NYRR will also continue traditions of holding a non-guaranteed entrant drawing, welcoming charity runners, and runners from across the City, nation, and world.
More than 33,000 applicants applied in one month's time for approximately 4,500 non-guaranteed drawing spots. The expected field includes approximately:
Please note this year's Marathon application opened on April 24, 2013 and closed on May 24, 2013. Applications in previous years were open four to six months.
As part of the 2012 Marathon Resolution, runners were offered three options - refund, guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015, or guaranteed entry to the 2013 NYC Half.
new york city marathon, new york road runners, sports
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 13 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
4 min ago