Syracuse retires Carmelo's jersey at halftime
Syracuse retired former star Carmelo Anthony's No. 15 jersey during halftime of its game against Georgetown on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse retired former star Carmelo Anthony's No. 15 jersey during halftime of its game against Georgetown on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.
A sellout crowd of 35,012, the largest to see a college basketball game in an on-campus arena, watched a large replica of Anthony's jersey get unveiled in the rafters. The New York Knicks' star was presented a framed jersey at center court.
Anthony, who played only one year of college ball and helped lead the Orange to their lone national championship in 2003, was greeted with a rousing ovation when he entered the Carrier Dome before the game.
"Wow," Anthony said, his wife and young son standing at his side. "This is one of the most memorable days of my life, my career."
Anthony was joined by former teammates Matt Gorman, Craig Forth and Josh Pace from that title team.
Anthony led Syracuse in scoring and rebounding, averaging 22.2 points and 10 rebounds and was named the Final Four's most outstanding player after Syracuse's heartstopping 81-78 win over Kansas in the championship game in New Orleans.
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 19 min ago
- Limited Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 14 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape 2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos