Ball State hires Arizona assistant Whitford
Arizona associate head coach James Whitford was hired by Ball State on Saturday.Arizona associate head coach James Whitford was hired by Ball State on Saturday.
Arizona coach Sean Miller said the hiring was well deserved.
Whitford, who is from Madison, Wis., coached in the MAC at Miami of Ohio and was with Miller at Xavier.
Ball State fired Billy Taylor last month, a day after losing to Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference tournament. Taylor was hired in 2007 to clean up a program coming off a school-record 22-loss season, awaiting an NCAA ruling and had been tainted by the former coach's accusations that racially charged letters had been left underneath his office door.
The Cardinals were 15-15, including 8-8 in conference play. Taylor went 84-99 in six seasons.
Arizona (27-8, 12-6 Pac-12) advanced to the Sweet 16 before losing to Ohio State.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 33 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos