Ball State hires Arizona assistant Whitford
Arizona associate head coach James Whitford was hired by Ball State on Saturday.Arizona associate head coach James Whitford was hired by Ball State on Saturday.
Arizona coach Sean Miller said the hiring was well deserved.
Whitford, who is from Madison, Wis., coached in the MAC at Miami of Ohio and was with Miller at Xavier.
Ball State fired Billy Taylor last month, a day after losing to Buffalo in the Mid-American Conference tournament. Taylor was hired in 2007 to clean up a program coming off a school-record 22-loss season, awaiting an NCAA ruling and had been tainted by the former coach's accusations that racially charged letters had been left underneath his office door.
The Cardinals were 15-15, including 8-8 in conference play. Taylor went 84-99 in six seasons.
Arizona (27-8, 12-6 Pac-12) advanced to the Sweet 16 before losing to Ohio State.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos