Anderson University D-lineman collapses, dies
An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.ANDERSON, Ind. -- An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.
In a statement Friday, the central Indiana college said sophomore Xavier Walton was playing basketball in the Kardatzke Wellness Center when he collapsed Thursday night. The northwest Indiana native died later at a hospital in Anderson, about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
An autopsy was performed Friday, but the Madison County coroner didn't immediately release the cause of death.
Walton was a defensive lineman and was studying visual communication and design. He had graduated from the Thea Bowman Leadership Academy in Gary.
Classmates and school staff held prayers for Walton and his family Thursday night in Reardon Auditorium.
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 41 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 28 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos