Yankees' Girardi surprised by Derek Jeter retirement
NEW YORK -- Joe Girardi found out about Derek Jeter's retirement announcement the same way almost everyone else did: when the New York Yankees captain posted a letter to the world on his Facebook page this week.
Girardi arrived at spring Friday for his seventh season as Yankees manager, and Jeter's decision to retire after this season dominated the opening news conference.
Girardi says "I think we were probably all a little bit taken aback by it. You're never sure how someone's going to do it, but I had no inkling that that's what he was thinking."
New York missed the playoffs last season for just the second time in 19 years. Girardi predicted for the April 1 opener at Houston that Yankees players at every position other than pitcher will be different from opening day last year.
new york yankees, derek jeter, mlb
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 29 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
29 min ago