Soldier back from war going to Super Bowl
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A soldier from New Jersey who returned from Afghanistan just weeks ago is heading to the Super Bowl thanks to his mom.
She won the tickets, but mom is giving them to her son so he can go with a buddy.
"Nobody believed me, I didn't believe her. Until I actually got them in my hand. I'm like wow, this is actually happening, I guess I'm actually going!" said Andrew Hamstra.
Any real Giants fan would feel the same way with two Super Bowl tickets on the dining room table. They're worth $800 a piece face value, and worth a few thousand dollars each on the secondary market. But for Andrew, they cost just five bucks, a little luck, and lots of love from his mother, who won them.
"Every year I buy Super Bowl raffle tickets from Newark Rotary," Nancy Hamstra said.
"She told me first prize is Super Bowl. Andrew gets them. If it's the iPad, I get it." Kelly Hamstra, her daughter, said.
Well, no one was talking iPad when a Newark Rotary Club member called Nancy.
Andrew is a 22 year old medic in the Army. He just returned from a one year tour in Afghanistan, where he helped train Afghan soldiers many skills, including tending to the wounded. He's stationed at Fort Knox in Kentucky, which is where he was when he got a text from Mom.
"I did not believe her at first. People don't just call you everyday and say you're going to the Super Bowl, so I didn't believe her," Andrew said.
The Hamstra's are life-long Giants fans. Andrew had already won the tickets while he was watching that last nail-biter against the 49ers.
"It made that game so much crazier, trying to watch that game and not be. When it went into over time, I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack and die!" he said.
What a way to spend your leave and will Andrew ever thank Mom?
"I have to figure out a way to thank her. How do you 1-up super bowl tickets? I need to buy her a car or win the lottery figure that out!" joked Andrew.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york giants, super bowl, new england patriots, nfl, toni yates
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos