Penguins beat the Rangers
PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby scored the go-ahead goal with 10:04 remaining to help the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 4-3 victory over the New York Rangers on Saturday, their fifth win in six games.
Fedotenko had a goal and two assists for the Penguins, who closed out a 10-1-2 March by improving to a 5-1-1 on their franchise-record eight-game homestand. Pittsburgh climbed three points ahead of the seventh-place Rangers in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
Maxime Talbot added a goal and an assist, and Matt Cooke also scored for Pittsburgh, which improved to 14-2-3 under interim coach Dan Bylsma.
Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Nik Antropov scored for New York, which is 1-2-1 in its past four.
Crosby extended his personal scoring streak to 15 games with the winning goal, his 29th. He took a pass from Ruslan Fedotenko while in the neutral zone and went up the ice with speed, splitting New York defensemen Wade Redden and Derek Morris and beating Henrik Lundqvist with a wrist shot to give Pittsburgh its third lead of the day.
The Penguins took an early 2-0 lead with goals 2:23 apart midway through the first period. Talbot scored his 11th 8:57 in shortly after a power play for Pittsburgh expired. Cooke then got his 10th on a second rebound during a scrum in front of the net, slapping it over Lundqvist - who was sprawled out on the ice.
The Rangers scored twice in final 1:32 of the period to tie it.
Callahan got his 20th by scoring moments after a faceoff win by Scott Gomez and set up by Sean Avery.
Dubinsky then tied it with 4.4 seconds left with a wraparound goal, his 10th.
Fedotenko gave Pittsburgh the lead again 4:14 into the second when he finished a two-on-one with Jordan Staal. The play was started when Pittsburgh defenseman Rob Scuderi "saved" a shot by Gomez that had gotten behind goalie Marc-Andre Fleury.
But the Rangers tied it again with 4:44 left in the period on Antropov's rebound goal, his 27th of the season and sixth in 12 games with New York.
Notes: Counting the playoffs, Pittsburgh is 13-0-2 in its past 15 home games against the Rangers. ... The home team won all six games in the season series. ... Antropov has five goals this season against Pittsburgh, more than any other team. ... Avery has nine points in 12 games since rejoining the Rangers early this month.
NEW YORK SPORTS AND MORE
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos