Islanders lose to the Flyers in shootout
UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- Danny Briere and Mike Richards scored shootout goals to lead the Philadelphia Flyers to their fourth win in five games, 4-3 over the New York Islanders on Saturday night.
Joffrey Lupul scored twice in regulation and Scott Hartnell added a goal for the Flyers, who rallied from a 2-0 deficit and strengthened their playoff chances. Martin Biron stopped 33 shots and beat the Islanders for the 11th straight time, dating to his days with the Buffalo Sabres.
The Islanders, who beat the Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings 2-0 on the road Friday night, got goals from Radek Martinek, Jeff Tambellini and Mark Streit in regulation. Yann Danis turned aside 30 shots for New York, which has the fewest points in the NHL.
The first period was scoreless until Martinek gave the Islanders the lead with 5:48 left. Nate Thompson won a faceoff to teammate Tim Jackman, who fed the puck back to Martinek at the left point.
His slap shot got past a screened Biron for his fourth goal of the season.
The Islanders nearly doubled the lead but Franz Nielsen's apparent power-play goal was scored after the horn sounded to end the first period.
New York did go ahead by two goals 3:03 into the second period.
Kyle Okposo brought the puck into the Flyers zone on the right wing. He sent the puck up in the air, and Tambellini batted it waist-high past Biron into the net.
Philadelphia took control in the third period, netting three goals in a 3:55 span to take the lead.
Lupul got the Flyers on the board at 4:24. He skated in on Danis and sent a hard wrist shot from the right side that went in off Danis' pad.
Hartnell tied it at 6:38 when he knocked in a rebound that Danis left in front of the net. Lupul made it 3-2 at 8:19 on a backhand.
Philadelphia's lead lasted 32 seconds, when Streit got New York even with his 16th goal of the season.
Notes: Biron has won five straight road starts against the Islanders. ... New York D Bruno Gervais played in his 200th NHL game. ... Okposo, a rookie forward, has at least one point in 11 of 12 games.
NEW YORK SPORTS AND MORE
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
9 min ago