Bruins 1, Rangers 0
BOSTON -- Tim Thomas celebrated his new four-year contract with a 1-0 win over the New York Rangers that clinched the best record in the Eastern Conference for the Boston Bruins on Saturday.
He also got into a brief tussle with Sean Avery after the Rangers wing tapped the back of Thomas' head with his stick during a stoppage in play with 5:24 left as the goalie knelt in front of the crease. Both received two-minute penalties.
The teams met in a potential first-round playoff preview. The Rangers hold the eighth and final postseason spot in the East with three games left. Florida was idle Saturday and trails them by two points with four games left.
Rookie Blake Wheeler scored his 21st goal at 9:04 of the first period.
NEW YORK SPORTS AND MORE
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act