Islanders beat the Lightning
UNIONDALE, N.Y. -- Yann Danis made 29 saves, and the New York Islanders snapped a three-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday night.
Richard Park, Radek Martinek and Josh Bailey scored for the Islanders, who took three of four meetings this season against Tampa Bay. Jesse Joensuu and Bruno Gervais each had a pair of assists.
Matt Pettinger had the only goal for the Lightning, losers of six straight (0-4-2).
Mike McKenna made 18 saves for Tampa Bay.
The Islanders scored 23 seconds after the opening faceoff. From the left side, Park spun around and sent a quick wrist shot past McKenna for his 14th goal of the season.
Tampa Bay came out firing pucks at Danis to start the second period, but he turned everything aside. Later in the period, the Islanders capitalized on a power play to take a 2-0 lead.
Off a faceoff, Martinek wound up with the puck at the right point. He moved to the top of the right circle and blasted a shot over McKenna's glove-side shoulder at 14:52.
Pettinger got the Lightning on the board with a power-play goal at 16:36.
The Islanders gave themselves a bit of breathing room with another power-play goal, this time with Bailey connecting off a beautiful feed from Blake Comeau at 9:14 of the final period.
Notes: The Islanders recalled five players from Bridgeport on an emergency basis: forwards Mitch Fritz, Mike Iggulden, Jesse Joensuu and Joel Rechlicz, and defenseman Jamie Fraser. Fraser made his NHL debut. ... Tampa Bay recalled defenseman Vladimir Mihalik from Norfolk.
NEW YORK SPORTS AND MORE
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing