Life & Community
Top five personal safety tips
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's crucial to stay aware of your personal safety, even during everyday activities. Sometimes, just walking down the street can make you vulnerable to attacks. Here are Martial Artist Gabrielle Rubin's top five tips to avoid physical confrontation.
1. MAKE EYE CONTACT
Let them know that you see them. Body language is important, so don't project yourself as a victim. Show your confidence. If someone with bad intentions thinks you might be able to identify them or pick them out of a lineup, they may be less likely to act.
2. BE AWARE
Stay aware of your surroundings - know who and what is around you.
3. CONSOLIDATE BAGS
Keep your hands free. Make sure you are able to defend yourself if necessary.
4. DON'T WALK & TALK or TEXT
Don't be on the phone - it distracts you. You lose focus and peripheral vision, making you an easy target. Headphones may prevent you from hearing an attacker approach. Stay alert!
5. USE YOUR VOICE
Don't be afraid to use your voice - it's the greatest weapon that you have. Being verbally assertive can distract an attacker and draw attention from others so that you can get the help you need.
Find personal safety and self-defense information from Gabrielle Rubin at www.femaleawareness.com
fire safety, fire, carbon monoxide, life & community
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 19 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos