Coming up: Free Summer Sunday
NEW YORK -- Mark your Aug. 7 on your calendars!
On that day for the first time, all six Heart of Brooklyn cultural intuitions will be open to the public free of charge as part of the festivities surrounding Free Summer Sunday.
The event will help celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Heart of Brooklyn partnership, which includes the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Children's Museum, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Public Library, Prospect Park and Prospect Park Zoo.
In addition to free admission, each institution will hold special programs throughout the day.
Below are some of the events that will be taking place. For more information, visit www.heartofbrooklyn.org/free.
Brooklyn Icons Mini Golf, Grand Army Plaza (Noon-5:00pm)
Putt through a mini golf course made up of Brooklyn borough favorite landmarks, including Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Army Plaza's Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch. Compete alongside your friends and family for the best score and evenenter to win a free meal at a local dinner spot.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1000 Washington Avenue
Explore BBG's Native New Yorkers exhibition and a free Seasonal Highlights Tour at 1:00pm (meet at the visitor's center).
Brooklyn Children's Museum, 145 Brooklyn Avenue
Cool off inside the Brooklyn Children's Museum with "Kitchen Chemistry: Cool-inary Creations" and "Blooming Babies: We All Scream for Ice Cream", two family-friendly events that combine food fun and hands-on learning.
Brooklyn Museum, 200 Eastern Parkway
Enjoy special exhibitions now on view: "Vishnu: Hinduism's Blue-Skinned Savior," "Lorna Simpson: Gathered" and "reOrder: An Architectural Environment by Situ Studio."
Brooklyn Public Library (Central), Grand Army Plaza
Experience the beauty of Brooklyn's Bridges: Engineering as Art & Inspiration, currently displayed in the Grand Lobby. While there, pick up a suggested summer title to enjoy outdoors on the Plaza or curled up in Prospect Park's Long Meadow.
Start off with a morning bird walk in the Park at 8:00am. In the afternoon, bring the kids to "Summer Songs and Stories" at Lefferts Historic House, or enjoy free carousel rides at the Prospect Park Children's Corner.
Prospect Park Zoo, 450 Flatbush Avenue
Sea Lions Stella and Beebe are diving for icy red heart treats to show how much they love living in the Heart of Brooklyn. Catch special feedings at 11:30am, 2:00pm and 4:00pm. At noon in the Zoo's Barn Stage, watch Elroy the goat, who is getting fit with the help of his keeper, go through his training session and play ball.
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 27 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 29 min ago
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire 31 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake' 3 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
45 min ago