Coming up: Free Summer Sunday
NEW YORK -- Mark your Aug. 7 on your calendars!
On that day for the first time, all six Heart of Brooklyn cultural intuitions will be open to the public free of charge as part of the festivities surrounding Free Summer Sunday.
The event will help celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Heart of Brooklyn partnership, which includes the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Children's Museum, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Public Library, Prospect Park and Prospect Park Zoo.
In addition to free admission, each institution will hold special programs throughout the day.
Below are some of the events that will be taking place. For more information, visit www.heartofbrooklyn.org/free.
Brooklyn Icons Mini Golf, Grand Army Plaza (Noon-5:00pm)
Putt through a mini golf course made up of Brooklyn borough favorite landmarks, including Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Army Plaza's Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch. Compete alongside your friends and family for the best score and evenenter to win a free meal at a local dinner spot.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1000 Washington Avenue
Explore BBG's Native New Yorkers exhibition and a free Seasonal Highlights Tour at 1:00pm (meet at the visitor's center).
Brooklyn Children's Museum, 145 Brooklyn Avenue
Cool off inside the Brooklyn Children's Museum with "Kitchen Chemistry: Cool-inary Creations" and "Blooming Babies: We All Scream for Ice Cream", two family-friendly events that combine food fun and hands-on learning.
Brooklyn Museum, 200 Eastern Parkway
Enjoy special exhibitions now on view: "Vishnu: Hinduism's Blue-Skinned Savior," "Lorna Simpson: Gathered" and "reOrder: An Architectural Environment by Situ Studio."
Brooklyn Public Library (Central), Grand Army Plaza
Experience the beauty of Brooklyn's Bridges: Engineering as Art & Inspiration, currently displayed in the Grand Lobby. While there, pick up a suggested summer title to enjoy outdoors on the Plaza or curled up in Prospect Park's Long Meadow.
Start off with a morning bird walk in the Park at 8:00am. In the afternoon, bring the kids to "Summer Songs and Stories" at Lefferts Historic House, or enjoy free carousel rides at the Prospect Park Children's Corner.
Prospect Park Zoo, 450 Flatbush Avenue
Sea Lions Stella and Beebe are diving for icy red heart treats to show how much they love living in the Heart of Brooklyn. Catch special feedings at 11:30am, 2:00pm and 4:00pm. At noon in the Zoo's Barn Stage, watch Elroy the goat, who is getting fit with the help of his keeper, go through his training session and play ball.
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 13 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 19 min ago
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green