Coming up: Walk to End Alzheimer's, Oct. 23
NEW YORK -- The New York City chapter of the Alzheimer's Association will hold its 23rd annual Walk to End Alzheimer's on the morning of Oct. 23rd at Riverside Park near the intersection of West 97th Street and Riverside Drive in Manhattan.
The two-mile walk, which will be co-emceed by ABC7's Bill Ritter, will begin with check-in and registration at 9:00am. The opening cermony will take place at 10:00am, followed by the walk itself at 11:00am.
Emmy- and Tony Award-winning actor David Hyde Pierce will serve as an honorary walk chair and will be on hand for the event, as well actor Victor Garber, Alex McCord from "The Real Housewives of New York City," and WNBA star and ESPN basketball analyst Kara Lawson. In addition, Doreen Montalvo from Broadway's "In The Heights," will perform.
To register, visit here or call the 24-hour helpline at (800) 272-3900. Walkers can register on-site, but are strongly urged to register in advance. The walk is expected to raise $1 million.
The walk raises money for vital programs and services offered by the chapter, advancing important research into better treatments and a possible cure, while helping to increase public awareness about the disease and its impact on the community. A special "Memory Wall" will be constructed in Riverside Park where walk participants can post mementos, messages or photos of someone in their lives they have cared for, or who is currently affected by Alzheimer's disease. The walk has something to offer the whole family, with live entertainment, a "Kid's Korner" activity area for children, and a "Doggie Dugout" for the four-legged walkers.
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 23 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 30 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos