Coming up: Walk to End Alzheimer's, Oct. 23
NEW YORK -- The New York City chapter of the Alzheimer's Association will hold its 23rd annual Walk to End Alzheimer's on the morning of Oct. 23rd at Riverside Park near the intersection of West 97th Street and Riverside Drive in Manhattan.
The two-mile walk, which will be co-emceed by ABC7's Bill Ritter, will begin with check-in and registration at 9:00am. The opening cermony will take place at 10:00am, followed by the walk itself at 11:00am.
Emmy- and Tony Award-winning actor David Hyde Pierce will serve as an honorary walk chair and will be on hand for the event, as well actor Victor Garber, Alex McCord from "The Real Housewives of New York City," and WNBA star and ESPN basketball analyst Kara Lawson. In addition, Doreen Montalvo from Broadway's "In The Heights," will perform.
To register, visit here or call the 24-hour helpline at (800) 272-3900. Walkers can register on-site, but are strongly urged to register in advance. The walk is expected to raise $1 million.
The walk raises money for vital programs and services offered by the chapter, advancing important research into better treatments and a possible cure, while helping to increase public awareness about the disease and its impact on the community. A special "Memory Wall" will be constructed in Riverside Park where walk participants can post mementos, messages or photos of someone in their lives they have cared for, or who is currently affected by Alzheimer's disease. The walk has something to offer the whole family, with live entertainment, a "Kid's Korner" activity area for children, and a "Doggie Dugout" for the four-legged walkers.
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Police investiate possible bias attack on Broadway
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
7 min ago
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos