Coming up: The Stars of NY Dance, Nov. 18
NEW YORK -- Can six New York City community leaders feel the rhythm? On Nov. 18, it's time to find out.
That's when the 2nd annual edition of the "The Stars of New York Dance" will take place at the Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts in Brooklyn at 7 p.m.
For the cause of raising scholarship funds for children of low-income communities in the city, contestants will show off their moves -- after three weeks of rigorous training -- on the dance floor in a judged competition inspired popular Dancing With The Stars show (as seen on ABC7).
The event will be hosted by Susan L. Taylor, editor-in-chief emeritus of Essence magazine and founder the National CARES Mentoring Movement; and political anchor Errol Louis. Taylor will be homonored during the event a special salute that will include performances by eight-time ASCAP Award-winning R&B singer Gordon Chambers and the Esthers of Dance dance ministry team of Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
The contestants will be paired up with six professional dance artists who will vie for a $5,000 dance scholarship for their particular dance organization. The competitors are as follows...
- Rev. Lawrence E. Aker, III, senior pastor of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant, will dance with Dr. Melissa Vaughan of Professional Center for the Arts Inc.
- Sheila Elaine Anderson, on-air host at WBGO 88.3FM and author, is partnered with Jerome Warren of Balance Dance Theater
- Community leader Teresa "Teri" Coaxum will dance with Dallas McMurray of Mark Morris Dance Group
- Robert E. Cornegy Jr., state committeeman/district leader of the 56th Assembly District, will be partnered with Karen Thornton-Daniels of Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation's Youth Arts Academy
- Laurie A. Cumbo, founder and executive director of the MoCADA Museum in Fort Greene, will dance with Jamel Gaines of Creative Outlet Dance Theater of Brooklyn
- Rev. Frederick C. Ennette, pastor at Bedford Central Presbyterian Church in Crown Heights, will be partnered with Zakiya Harris of Asase Yaa African American Dance Theater
Checks can also be made payable to "The Stars ofNew York Dance" and mailed to P.O. Box 170511, Times Plaza Station, Brooklyn, NY 112117. The event is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions in behalf of "The Stars of New York Dance" may be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos