Holiday Giving Resources 2011
NEW YORK -- The following are some wonderful charitable organizations to give to during this holiday season.
Marine Toys for Tots Foundation
The mission of the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted. For more information, visit www.toysfortots.org.
American Red Cross: Holiday Mail for Heroes
Send a touch of home this holiday season to members of our U.S. military, veterans and their families -- many of whom will be far away from home this holiday season. The process is very simple and takes no time at all. All you need is a pen and piece of paper to share your appreciation for the sacrifices members of the U.S. Armed Forces make to protect our freedoms The Holiday Mail for Heroes mail box is open and ready to receive for your cards. For more information, visit www.redcross.org/holidaymail.
Furthermore, check out the Red Cross holiday giving catalog where you can make a charitable donation to the Red Cross in the name of a loved one. The catalog includes symbolic items, ranging from blankets, to phone cards for a member of the armed forces to the funding of an entire relief shelter. The money donated supports that specific area of service.
new york city ioby - Giving Card Store
The ioby Giving Card is the perfect gift for all your socially-conscious, environmentally-friendly, non-material, bicycling, composting friends. You buy a card for $10, $25 or $50 and your loved one can pick the project of his or her choice. Designed by local New Yorkers, ioby Giving Cards are a beautifully crafted gift that allows the recipient to apply the value of the card to the project of his or her choice.
Visit new york city ioby online
Call them at: (917) 464-4515
Long Island Cares: The Harry Chapin Food Bank
Those who don't know what to give their loved this season can send a tribute gift to Long Island Cares, Inc. Gift recipients will receive a personalized card informing them that a gift has been made in their name to the regional food bank. A gift of $30 will feed a family of four for two days; $105 for one week.
The Harry Chapin Food Bank is Long Island's first. It was founded in 1980 by the late famed singer and activist that bears his name. It is continued today by his wife, Sandy, and a staff working out of a 35,000-square foot venue in Hauppauge and their new storefront in Freeport. The food bank is a member of the Food Bank Assocation of New York State and Feeding America.
To make a holiday tribute gift or more for information on the organization, vist www.licares.org or call (631) 582-3663.
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 34 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25