Coming up: Kids Cafe Festival Goes to College
NEW YORK -- Dancewave is proud to announce the return of the Kids Cafe Festival Goes to College that will take place at 3 p.m. March 3-4 at the Kumble Theater of Performing Arts at Long Island University's Brooklyn Campus.
The festival is designed to introduce interested high school students to college dance options and bring new dancers into the dance field. The college theme puts a twist on Dancewave's annual Kids Cafe Festival, a popular community event now in its 18th year. This event showcases student choreography from nationwide university dance departments, NYC's premiere high school dance groups and Dancewave's four unique pre-professional dance companies: Dancewave Company, Dancewave Company II, Dancewave Company III and the Young Movers Ensemble.
The Dancewave Company will premiere Ron K. Brown's "To Harm the Dangerous." The Dancewave Company II will premiere Jamal Jackson's original choreography and score in "Space Coding." The newest companies, Dancewave Company III will premiere an original work by Jaclyn Walsh, from Keigwin & Co. and Young Movers Ensemble will feature choreography by Nicola Penfold.
The festival will be hosted by Christal Brown, choreographer and performer for INSPIRIT dance and Urban Bush Women. The festival reaches a targeted audience of 150-250 high school students with a strong interest in dance, as well as approximately 600 dance fans from all over the metropolitan area.
This year, the festival will include a Social Media Dance Webucation Series Initiative. As a new social media component to the Kids Cafe Festival, Dancewave is introducing the series -- a web-based dance education salon facilitated by high school students from across the country! Dancers, choreographers, entertainers, educators and celebrities will address questions submitted through Facebook, Twitter, Email, Youtube, and Vimeo. Students get the opportunity to learn and engage with individuals who studied dance in college and have since pursued successful careers in professional dance. To see a promotional video on the series, click here.
The theater is located at One University Plaza in Brooklyn. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students (with valid student ID), and $12 for kids younger than 12. Group rates are also available. To purchase tickets or more information visit www.kumbletheater.org or call (718) 488-1624. For more information about Dancewave's programs, please visit the group's site or call (718) 522-4696.
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos