Coming up: Kids Cafe Festival Goes to College
NEW YORK -- Dancewave is proud to announce the return of the Kids Cafe Festival Goes to College that will take place at 3 p.m. March 3-4 at the Kumble Theater of Performing Arts at Long Island University's Brooklyn Campus.
The festival is designed to introduce interested high school students to college dance options and bring new dancers into the dance field. The college theme puts a twist on Dancewave's annual Kids Cafe Festival, a popular community event now in its 18th year. This event showcases student choreography from nationwide university dance departments, NYC's premiere high school dance groups and Dancewave's four unique pre-professional dance companies: Dancewave Company, Dancewave Company II, Dancewave Company III and the Young Movers Ensemble.
The Dancewave Company will premiere Ron K. Brown's "To Harm the Dangerous." The Dancewave Company II will premiere Jamal Jackson's original choreography and score in "Space Coding." The newest companies, Dancewave Company III will premiere an original work by Jaclyn Walsh, from Keigwin & Co. and Young Movers Ensemble will feature choreography by Nicola Penfold.
The festival will be hosted by Christal Brown, choreographer and performer for INSPIRIT dance and Urban Bush Women. The festival reaches a targeted audience of 150-250 high school students with a strong interest in dance, as well as approximately 600 dance fans from all over the metropolitan area.
This year, the festival will include a Social Media Dance Webucation Series Initiative. As a new social media component to the Kids Cafe Festival, Dancewave is introducing the series -- a web-based dance education salon facilitated by high school students from across the country! Dancers, choreographers, entertainers, educators and celebrities will address questions submitted through Facebook, Twitter, Email, Youtube, and Vimeo. Students get the opportunity to learn and engage with individuals who studied dance in college and have since pursued successful careers in professional dance. To see a promotional video on the series, click here.
The theater is located at One University Plaza in Brooklyn. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students (with valid student ID), and $12 for kids younger than 12. Group rates are also available. To purchase tickets or more information visit www.kumbletheater.org or call (718) 488-1624. For more information about Dancewave's programs, please visit the group's site or call (718) 522-4696.
- Missing plane may have turned back 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 34 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 7 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
58 min ago