Colon Cancer Challenge: April 1
NEW YORK -- This year's Colon Cancer Challenge will take place in Central Park from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 1.
The proceeds from the event will include a 1.7-mile Remembrance and Prevention Walk, two runs, a 4M and 15K as well as a Remembrance and Prevention Festival at the Bandshell in Central Park. It will be a day to remember for the whole family, with balloon twisters, face painting and a Memory Quilt to record those we've lost and those who are survivors of colorectal cancer. In addition, there will be a children's quilt art project area. Proceeds from the day will go to support the screening, research, awareness and prevention efforts of the Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation.
How much do you know about colon cancer? Take the Colon Cancer Challenge quiz now to be entered to win two tickets to a Broadway show!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the U.S. The estimated number of people projected to be diagnosed with colon or rectal cancer in the U.S. in 2011 was 141,210.
- The estimated number of people projected to die from colon or rectal cancer in the U.S. in 2011 was 49,380.
- Screening can prevent colorectal cancer by finding precancerous polyps and removing them before they turn into invasive cancer.
- Regular screening finds colorectal cancer early, when treatment is most effective. Screening is recommended. For all men and women starting at age 50.
- Earlier for people with risk factors such as a family history of colorectal cancer.
- Ask your doctor when you should begin screenings.
- Talk to your family about your medical history.
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
27 min ago