Colon Cancer Challenge: April 1
NEW YORK -- This year's Colon Cancer Challenge will take place in Central Park from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 1.
The proceeds from the event will include a 1.7-mile Remembrance and Prevention Walk, two runs, a 4M and 15K as well as a Remembrance and Prevention Festival at the Bandshell in Central Park. It will be a day to remember for the whole family, with balloon twisters, face painting and a Memory Quilt to record those we've lost and those who are survivors of colorectal cancer. In addition, there will be a children's quilt art project area. Proceeds from the day will go to support the screening, research, awareness and prevention efforts of the Colon Cancer Challenge Foundation.
How much do you know about colon cancer? Take the Colon Cancer Challenge quiz now to be entered to win two tickets to a Broadway show!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the U.S. The estimated number of people projected to be diagnosed with colon or rectal cancer in the U.S. in 2011 was 141,210.
- The estimated number of people projected to die from colon or rectal cancer in the U.S. in 2011 was 49,380.
- Screening can prevent colorectal cancer by finding precancerous polyps and removing them before they turn into invasive cancer.
- Regular screening finds colorectal cancer early, when treatment is most effective. Screening is recommended. For all men and women starting at age 50.
- Earlier for people with risk factors such as a family history of colorectal cancer.
- Ask your doctor when you should begin screenings.
- Talk to your family about your medical history.
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos