Now playing: Free Outdoor Concerts at Lincoln Center
NEW YORK -- For more than three decades each spring, Lincoln Center welcomes hundreds of young musicians to its campus for dozens of performances on its outdoor plazas.
Lincoln Center's annual Young Music Makers offers New Yorkers and visitors of all ages the opportunity to enjoy some of the finest school bands, orchestras, and choruses from New York City, the metropolitan area, across the country, and around the world -- free and in the open air. The Young Music Makers 2012 series will bring groups from 37 elementary, middle, high school, and regional ensembles to Lincoln Center for performances from now through June 7.
This year, Young Music Makers takes advantage of the newly-revitalized campus of Lincoln Center, which has nearly completed its $1.2 billion redevelopment. The series offers a wide range of concerts that includes the terrific Highbridge Voices choir from the Bronx on Thursday, April 26 at 1 p.m. and a visit at noon on Friday, April 13, from the Fighting Koalas from Danger, New Castle, Australia, both on Lincoln Center's Josie Robertson Plaza.
Brooklyn High School of the Arts Jazz ensemble will play on April 27 at 1 p.m. outside Alice Tully Hall, and Manhattan's Talent Unlimited Jazz Band graces Josie Robertson Plaza on May 8 at noon, and Liberty Elementary School from Valley Cottage, New York will perform in Alice Tully's Plaza on May 16 at 11 a.m. For a complete list of all performances, visit www.LincolnCenter.org.
Young Music Makers is organized by the Public Programming division of Lincoln Center's Programming Department. The division presents special events that both represent and serve the community. It is responsible for the annual Lincoln Center Out of Doors free summer festivall -- one of the longest-running in the country; Midsummer Night Swing, the long-running, outdoor dance party held each year from late-June to mid-July; and Target Free Thursdays, a series of free concerts held in Lincoln Center's new visitors and discount ticket center, the David Rubenstein Atrium, on Broadway between West 62nd and 63rd Streets.
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 22 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
55 min ago