Coming up: Mostly Mozart Festival
NEW YORK -- A 10-year anniversary is surely something to celebrate.
Lincoln Center will honor the 10 years Louis Langrée has spent as Renée and Robert Belfer Music Director n style during its abnnual Mostly Mozart Festival. The festival, which will run from July 28 to August 25, will feature an assortment of more than 37 events taking place at seven venues.
The festival will open with a free preview concert on July 28 of the Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra in Avery Fischer Hall lead by Langrée himself. Its two main themes this year will be a multi-genre exploration on the influence of birdsong on composers and visual artists and the works of Schubert.
The birdsong theme will seve as the inspiration to a number of performances, including:
- The U.S. premiere of Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller's sound-art intallation The Murder of Crows, running from Aug. 3 to Sept. 9.
- A panel discussion moderated by John Schaefer, which will examime the characteristics of birdsong and its the impcat it has on musical creation on Aug. 12
- Bird-watching tours guided by the the New York City Audobon through Central Park on Tuesdays and Fridays in August.
- The presentation of the film Winged Migration in the Walter Reade Theater on Aug. 11
Other highlights will include Mark Morris making his festival conducting debut by taking his 1989 work, Dido and Aeneas to the Rose Theater for a series of shows from Aug. 22-25.
Festival for tickets will go on sale beginning on May 1. They will be able to be purchased at MostlyMozart.org, by phone at (212) 721-6500 or by visiting the Avery Fisher or Alice Tully Hall box offices at Broadway and 65th Street. The full schedule of events can also be found at the website.
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 15 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
27 min ago