Coming up: Out of Doors Festival
NEW YORK -- How about some fresh air?
The lineup of the upcoming Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival, which runs from July 25 to Aug. 12, was recently announced -- and there will be no shortage of diversified talent on the outdoor stage. The festival, one of the country's longest running of its kind, will feature 100 free performances, including 17 premieres and debuts in Damrosch Park on West 62nd between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.
The fun will start on July 25 with a performance by Nile Rodgers and Chic Organization. The evening will be opened by beats from DJ KS*360 and poet Kwikstep along with his Full Circle Souljahs musicians and dancers.
Other highlights will include...
- The world premiere of Phil Kline's dreamcitynine, a Lincoln Center-commissioned piece, that combines chamber music and song cycles with a downloadable GPS-based app tied to various locations mapped across the center's campus that will trigger short texts written by familiar names in the world of music, art and orignal thought.
- The U.S. premiere of Tangle from Australia's Polygot Theatre. It's a large, interactive, elastic weaving event created live by children and their families. The event will premiere on July 26 and run through July 29.
- "Family Day" will take place on July 28, when the Bindlestuff Family Circus will perform its unique blent of vaudeville, circus and sideshow to the Hearst Plaza with a number of prerformers, including acrobats from the Chinese American Arts Council.
- Soul standout Lenny Williams will perform his R&B and pop classics, including "Cause I Love You," on Aug. 8.
- On Aug. 10, Denver-based Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble will perform a revival of a number of pieces that are inspired by the African-American experience including their milestone 1984 work, "Lush Life," that Robinson co-created with Maya Angelou. For a full festival lineup, visit the festival's official website.
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 8 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro-North: train outage expected for days
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida 37 min ago
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
8 min ago