Coming up: Midsummer Night Swing
NEW YORK -- Put some swing into your step this summer!
Tickets are now on sale for this year's Midsummer Night Swing event at Lincoln Center, taking place Tuesdays through Saturdays from June 26 to July 14. Once again, the event's 15 nights of dancing -- including salsa, swing, tango, rock 'n' roll and bhangra -- will take place at the bandshell and elevated dance floor in Damrosch Park on West 62nd between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.
The opening night on June 26 will harken back to the sounds of Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald in the '50s and '60s through the music of The Nelson Riddle Orchestra.
Also noteworthy are two U.S. debuts. The first will take place on June 28 as The ABC & D of Boogie Woogie will peform with Axel Zwingenberger on piano, Ben Waters on piano and vocals, Dave Green on bass and Charlie Watts on drums. The band will play a blend of classic jazz, ragtime piano and early urban blues. Also, the Mestres do Forro Nordestino from Brazil will perform "A Tribute to Luiz Gonzaga" with lively, danceable numbers on July 13.
Plus, new this year will be "Dancing 101s," which will consist of three pre-season nights of free dance lessons and DJs in the David Rubenstein Atrium, beginning at 7 p.m. on June 6, 13 and 20. In addition, on the nights of July 7 and 12 will feature "Silent Discos," from 10 to 11:30 p.m. From that time, the sound system is turned off, but the dance party keeps going as the DJ boradcasts directly into dancers' headphones.
It should be noted that the there will be no event on July 4, so a special Monday night will be added on July 2.
Multi-evening passes are priced at $80 for six nights, and $160 for the full season. New this year are the Latin Pass for $60 for four nights of Latin dance, and the Swing Pass for $60 for four nights of swing dancing. Tickets for individual evening events are $17. The Swing box office is located in the lobby of Avery Fisher Hall, Broadway and 65th Street. Tickets for individual events and passes can be purchased in advance at the Avery Fisher box office or beginning at 5:30 pm on the night of the event at a box office in Damrosch Park.
For more information, visit the official site. The event can also be followed on Twitter at @LCSWing.
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ