Coming up: ADA Expo, March 9
NEW YORK -- The fight to stop diabetes begins with you!
Come check out the the American Diabetes Association (ADA) Expo taking place on March 9 rom 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in Manhattan.
This free public event includes:
- No-cost health screenings (courtesy of Mt. Sinai Hospital)
- Cooking demonstrations by Jamie and Bobby Deen of "Celebrity Chef," Charles Mattocks, a.k.a. the "Poor Chef," "Top Chef" contestant Andrea Beaman, and famed chef Dmitri Verteouris
- Cooking competition featuring NYC and YMCA public school students
- Product and vendor presentations/exhibits from more than 60 exhibitors
- Fitness demos
- Speeches by Phil Sutherland of Team Type 1 and Frado Dinten of the "Biggest Loser"
- Culturally relevant diabetes education materials
Nearly 26 million adults and children in the U.S. -- including 10 percent of New Yorkers -- have diabetes, and an additional 79 million more have pre-diabetes in the U.S. If current trends continue, one in three children will face a future with diabetes. People with diabetes and pre-diabetes can take steps to manage the disease and lower the risk of its life-threatening complications.
For more information please call the ADA at 1-800-DIABETES (342-2383) or visit Diabetes.org/newyork.
Founded in 1940, The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to stop diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. Its mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. The association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes.
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 19 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Funeral for one of victims of Metro-North derailment
- LI man with 12 drunken driving convictions sentenced
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Wintry blast moves through much of country, heads East
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 46 min ago
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary 47 min ago